Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Does NVIDIA Telemetry 'phone home' to Microsoft?

My Topic header is basically the question, have installed a GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 in my main PC, and the 1060 FTW +ACX 3.0 in it's 'little brother'. Ironically, the main runs the best Devil's canyon in the i7-4790K & the i5-4690K in the other, both OC'd.:D

As are the GPU's. When looking through some services that may impact Windows Startup, or those that I don't need, seen 2-3 NVIDIA entries having to do with Telemetry. While I left the ones that checks for updates enabled, I disabled all that were associated with Telemetry.

While I was going to initially ask on the GeForce forums, felt that a Moderator or other person under control of NVIDIA may step in & provide untruths. After all, during the Windows 10 Previews, it was seen on at least one forum where the NVIDIA GPU was uploading data to Microsoft. While not totally possible, I prefer to have what control I have over privacy & therefore never use the Express Install of Windows 10 (or 8.1), and choose what I don't want to share.

Something else to consider, Microsoft paid a huge sum to join the Linux Foundation, and months before that, any time that the GPU drivers are updated, a new version of 'node.js' (a Linux Foundation software) is also installed, although not the latest. If one has Secunia PSI installed, that'll be shown fast, so I download the latest before the driver install. Like Java (if installed) & Flash Player, node.js must also be kept up to date, am not sure of the details, some type of plugin.

Download | Node.js

System specs are below, main rig first.:)

http://sp eccy.piriform.com/results/qulw0AD7PJNY8rCHonqm34B

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lcoYyU4q3Vuhmy1MYrH6nRG

I'm also fairly certain that my other build (AMD), assembled with a lot of reused hardware, although the MB & CPU were new, also has the node.js component, a 2GB GeForce GTX 960 that's now in it's 4th home inside of two years.:)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/v0hM7gCASDHBhbtovErE1J0

Am simply wanting to know where this data is going, CCleaner shows these reports before deletion that can't be opened, or don't have a tool to open the files with. If it's NVIDIA simply wanting to improve their products, I can live with that, it's the 3rd parties I'm concerned over. Microsoft didn't purchase a Platinum membership to the Linux Foundation for the sake of it, and si nce 'node.js' is their software, there's a connection that could be made.:(

Cat


Source: Does NVIDIA Telemetry 'phone home' to Microsoft?

No comments:

Post a Comment